There are a number of free American Sign Language (ASL) programs and videos available on the internet, designed to help you start to learn sign language online in no time at all. The Internet offers several advantages when it comes to learning sign language. Multimedia learning, or e-learning, is all the rage nowadays.
Although responsive interaction with family members is still the best way to teach your children how to sign, there are some benefits to learning sign language online:
Sign language is a visual language. It involves movement and gestures, and as such, it is learned the best by observing other people. Watching others sign will help you learn ASL in no time at all. The internet offers more opportunities than you can count to watch others communicate in ASL.
a selection of 7 videos to help you and your kids learn sign language online
1. This video consists of a song in which babies, infants and young children learn basic signs. These signs relate to eating, drinking, clothing, body parts and communicating phrases like thank you and sorry. The length of the video is 54 minutes, so start watching it right away!
2. Learn 38 basic signs in 2 minutes. This is a great video for learning many words in a short time. You might have to watch it a few times.
3. This video is all about animals. If you watch the entire clip, you’ll learn the signs for 16 different animals.
4. This video is all about school. All elements in the clip are school-related, from signing about going to school in the morning to learning the signs for letters and numbers. Don’t forget to pack your lunch!
6. Kids need role models — it’s good for them! Get your children motivated by having them watch Pharrell Williams’s Happy. In this video, the song is sung in ASL. What could be a better remix than that?
7. In this video, be prepared to learn how to sign colors in less than 5 minutes. The clip may not be very long, but by the time it’s over you’ll know how to sign every color you can imagine in ASL.
So, what are you waiting for? Learn ASL in this twenty-first century-friendly way: by watching videos in a comfortable learning environment! The internet offers an interactive approach to picking up sign language, and the clips we’ve listed are available to everyone. With these links at your disposal, you’ll be fluent in ASL before you know it. Start to learn Sign Language online free.
The Children Learning Research Group of University of Oxford did a great deal of research on the effectiveness of online learning for children.
Older kids and adults can watch the 10 free videos of Dr. Byron Bridges at Signlanguage101